The third fort within the Yellowstone Basin began as Cantonment Reno. It was established on October 12, 1876 pursuant to Special Orders No. 131 issued by the Department of the Platte on September 22nd of the same year. It was three miles above the old Fort Reno of the Bozeman Trail days; and on July 17, 1877 was moved north to a location three miles west west of the preset town of Buffalo, Wyoming. On August 30th, the name was changed from Cantonment Reno to Fort Mckinney, in honour of the officer killed at Dull Knife's village. M.H. Brown,1961,p316
If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck ~ it is probably a goose.
Sketch of the Battle of Little Bighorn, which took place on June 25, 1876 in eastern Montana Territory and at which the 7th US Cavalry command under Gen. George Armstrong Custer was nearly wiped out by a large force of Sioux and Cheyenne warriors. This map shows topography and the Indian village, the road between Forts Custer and McKinnie, skirmish sites, and routes taken by detachments under Custer, Maj. Reno, and Capts. Benteen and Keogh. The map is drawn, apparently by someone who was present at the battle or who had close knowledge of it, on linen and belonged to Army officer George Buell.
This map came from the collection of Gen. George Buell, a US Army topographical engineer who was assigned to the trans-Mississippi West after the Civil War and participated in the Indian wars against the Great Plains tribes.